Entry #5: - 19 lbs lost combined...
The last couple of weeks have been a whirlwind of emotions. Being overwhelmed with joy, fear, anxiety, happiness, gratefulness, worry and relief. We had the blessing of having my dad visiting us from Puerto Rico, as well as my dear Titi Millie from Dallas for LJ's Pre-K graduation. Going back to the last few days, it got me thinking how life is "Sweet and Sour," as well as, for my taste buds. I love "sweet and sour" foods. Give me some savory and sweet and I'm a happy girl. It also made me think of how much "weight" we carry on our shoulders, heart, mind and soul. It was very humbling to see LJ graduate from Pre-K. Not only for what it means as a milestone for him, but also how well he managed it even though sensory-wise it was a true overload. He clenched, he had both his hands covering his face, but he stood there, clap, and follow the songs with his fellow classmates. When the ceremony was done, you could feel his anxiety and tension, his heart was racing, but he was compliant and stayed at the crowded Gym, where even one of his friend's dad said: "I cannot even imagined how he must be feeling, I'm an adult and I'm overwhelmed with all the stimuli here." I felt and overwhelming wave of joy and gratefulness being able to share that moment with my dad and aunt, but couldn't help feeling sad and nostalgic that my mom wasn't there to see her baby boy graduate from the school she loved so much and helped us keep attending when things got financially rough for us.
When we think of weight, we think in terms of pounds, sizes, all visual, not necessarily how we "feel" inside" or adding the "extra-weight' that life throws at us. I do know that my boys are going to be fine and set in life. Not because I can control it, but because I entrusted them to God since I found out I was pregnant with them. That doesn't mean the control freak in me overpowers from time to time. Of course I would love to control their environments, experiences, etc. which gives me great deal of unnecessary stress and fear. And how I "decompress"? I eat...preferably "sweet and sour" stuff...The irony of all of these is why can't I used my "control freak-ness" to control what I put in my body? Right? Wouldn't it be amazing if we can turn our excesses and neurosis into positives?
Continuing with the "Sweet and Sour" couple of days, with a side of Chinese food, egg rolls and savory with sweet yummy dishes, Luiso lost a LOT of WEIGHT this last week. He lost the stress of finally having his Master Report completed; and finally, got his Master in Software Engineering done. I think as soon as he received the final notification from the UT Registrar office, got everything, signed and approved, he lost all the extra-weight we've been carrying for 4 yrs. I'm super proud of him, and already told him in all my "Puerto Rican-ness splendor sarcastic tone" - "dime, dime que mas vas a estudiar ahora" (tell me, tell me what are you going to study next...) if you have never met a Puerto Rican woman before, in this case, a Puerto Rican wife, what I'm really saying to Luiso is: "If you dare to tell me you're going to study something else, I'm going to slap you silly until you snap out of it."
Regarding food choices and our new way of living, it's been "Sweet and Sour" as well. We've been eating out way more than we need to. Between "eating out our emotions and celebratory occasions" I've noticed that we're also making better choices. We are adding vegetables and still no sodas nor artificial sweeteners, etc. Baby steps, but we have kept moving. Tomorrow, LJ starts Kindergarten. He is not only ready and excited in his own way, but also is a new chapter in our family life in terms of having a new routine. Also, it is a "sweet and sour" moment because right after we drop LJ at school, I'm taking my dad to the airport, he is going back to Puerto Rico. He also is doing better food choices and taking care of his health. We loved having him here with us, I really treasured the days we spent together and how much the boys enjoyed his presence.
I will continue to savor these Sweet and Sour moments, in all aspects, inside and out. Because it is the sour that helps us enjoy the sweet, but too much sweet, can turn into extremely sour. Everything in balance..."one day at a time."
Joe: La comida puede ser tan emocional como tu quieres que sea. O puedes verla como el "fuel" o gasolina que necesita tu cuerpo para seguir adelante. Uno nunca puede privarse, ni deshacerse de lo emocional. Ese arroz con gandules que te recuerda a una abuela...pero debemos buscar que (a mi juicio) el 80 al 90% del tiempo, la comida sea solo combustible. Una vez la ves así, rebajar es mucho más fácil. Rebajar tiene un componente emocional muy grande. Uno tampoco puede privarse de lo que le gusta. Me alegro que te hayas comido esa comida china (yo me dí un banquete el sábado de los chinos de San Patricio, gran pecado de sodio). Aumenta tu nivel de ejercicio, eso es mejor que la comida, para bregar con las emociones. Liberas endorfinas que te harán sentirte mejor. Contrario a ti, yo ahora tengo un grave problema para engordar. Y es emocional. No hay nada perfecto. A mis casi 42 peso 114 libras. Son libras perdidas no por ser instructora de ejercicio. Mas bien por soltar un poco de peso emocional (mudarme, llevar a Pao a college, situaciones post divorcio). Sorpresivamente las encuentro incómodas. Me prefiero en 116-118. Mis hijos mismos me lo dicen. Al igual que tu, ando en búsqueda del balance...pero CUAN DIFICIL es!!!!!!
ReplyDelete