Tuesday, August 5, 2014

"One day at a time" - some days..."one hour at a time..."

Entry #4:  -16 lbs. (yes, we're kind of stuck...)

So far, so good... in terms of being conscious about food choices (the majority of the time) and managing our new lifestyle...but "old habits" die slow, and this one is no exception.  There are tons of "excuses" that I can think of, but I'm not even going to  look for them.  Some things in life are as easy as "I'll do it, or I don't"  not "maybe" nor "later."  Which got me thinking on why we procrastinate so much when having to do something, and why we "complain" about anything and everything.  I don't know why we believe that we deserve the blessing without putting the work for it.  I'm totally guilty of this.  But again, I have 2 options,  1) quit or 2)try again..."One day at a time."  Eating out is my debacle.  I LOVE eating out, and it doesn't have to be anywhere fancy.   Any fast food restaurant would do it for me.  But If you want to see me "happier than a dog with 2 tails" take me to Chipotle, Red Lobster or to Joe Crab's House. Especially, if eating out means that 1) I don't have to cook. 2) see my 3 guys making faces when trying the food I just cooked. 3) Clean the kitchen.   I know that I've said that "this time," I was going to take my time and not obsessed about food nor what I do, but reality is that I need to have accountability and do need to monitor what I eat.  Same with exercise...I have tons of excuses not to exercise, medical, health-wise, even I can say that my beliefs doesn't let me work out, etc...but again, it is a matter of ownership and accountability with myself.  So far, my exercise routine consists of drinking the >64oz of water needed.  Meaning that I need to "go pee" frequently.  The positive thing of this is that 1) the bathroom is far from my cubicle at work. 2) My workplace promotes a healthy and active lifestyle as part of their "corporate culture"  - In other words... my walking to the bathroom counts in favor of my productivity and utilization metrics. (at work and my FitBit)   Another positive thing about it is that apparently, the people in our work building are on the same "schedule" because I tend to ran into the same people when "exercising" (wink, wink)- enabling a great deal of "networking opportunities" (in another kind of  "cubicles" of course) and exchanging ideas and even giving reminders of deliverables needed for our project at tasks. 
Going back to all of the "excuses" I can come up with in order not to take responsibility for the changes and the discipline I need to follow in order to see the outcome I will like to see, these last weeks, I've been missing my mom more than ever.  Especially yesterday, I was craving her delicious "Pollo Guisado" and I tried in my best effort to "recreate it."  Needless to say, it came out not even close to her recipe and flavor. Which made me miss her even more, because I couldn't even call her to tell her that I messed up her recipe.  It also reminded me that she learned how to do it from my grandmother, Mama Carmen, and her "Pollo Guisado" was even better.  Now, they are both in Heaven, and I still miss my Mama Carmen a lot.  However, I do think they are both proud that at least I'm trying to cook.  Because per my Grandma's, Mama Carmen, opinion, I should have not get married because I didn't like to cook nor clean. (I still don't like to cook and clean...) 
I'm also doing something that I've said I wasn't going to do this time, I started to log my food intake using the "MyFitnessPal" phone application.  (If you're on it, look for me: "Nyleoj72") I'm also wearing my "FitBit" (which is almost 2 yrs old) because I wanted to measure how many calories, steps and "how far" I was walking on my "technical/networking stops" to the bathroom at work.  Ah! By the way, Luiso is doing good, thank you.  Remember, his part of the deal is to do everything I do. Deep down I feel so bad for him because his mom, Doña Alba, is a great cook!  She can do the simplest dish taste "ah-mah-zing" (really!) But he is stuck with me.... As this famous Puerto Rican saying says..."This is what the boat brought." However, I'm so thankful that even though you can see the "fifty shades of (insert any color you'd like)" in his face when I tell him what I cooked for dinner, he still eats it.  The boys...that's another story....
So these days, I'm taking things "one day at a time" - some days are "one hour at a time" in all aspects of my life; plus, using my "Pray & Praise FitBit" to count all my blessings and wonderful things that I get to enjoy.  Because we only have today.  And it needs to count.  As "My Fitness Pal" says when you're done logging for the day: "Complete Entry - If every day were like today...you'd weight ### in 5 weeks*"  :D

No comments:

Post a Comment