Thursday, February 26, 2015

Lent edition: Days 3-8



And I'm back to what I always do...I have a huge issue with consistency.  I couldn't sit down to write down since my last entry (day #2.)   I was reading the "list" and thought "Wow, we have to deal with all these in a daily basis, even worst, in a minute to minute, second to second basis." 

  1. Feelings of Unworthiness – You are fearfully and wonderfully made by your creator. (see Psalm 139:14)
  2. Impatience – God’s timing is the perfect timing.
  3. Retirement – As long as you are still breathing, you are here for a reason. You have a purpose to influence others for Christ. Our work is not always tied to a paycheck.
  4. People Pleasing – I can’t please everyone anyways. There is only one I need to strive to please.
  5. Comparison – I have my own unique contribution to make and there is no one else like me.
  6. Blame – I am not going to pass the buck. I will take responsibility for my actions.

Not only did I take "time away" from blogging, I also took some time away from tracking "my daily points."  I haven't gone wild with eating, etc. but I haven't either diligently watch my food intake. 

I have the blessing of working with people from all around the World.  One thing that always strikes my curiosity is to see how in the US, even though they considered themselves to have a "Global Mindset" they are extremely US Centric.  (And don't let me start with the "Texas" mentality...) I know the "Immigrant" issue is a big deal and one, which I'm super embarrassed to admit, don't know a lot about.  Even though I'm from Puerto Rico, an US Commonwealth, many Americans consider us as "Outsiders," "International," "Part of Mexico," etc. etc.  Especially those who haven't have the privilege, or simply doesn't want nor see the need to travel or learn about the World and its diversity.  Being an "outsider" or an "alien" comes with "feelings of unworthiness," "impatient," "retirement," "people pleasing," "comparison," or "blame:" and all of these "comes with the territory.

I know Immigrants, similar to some women, and anyone not following the "norm" have to work 5x harder (with less pay) just to prove how "worthy" they are.  We become "people pleasers," "impatient," because we really want to see "Karma" happen to those who mistreat us; plus, we want to see the "reward" for our hard work.  Being somehow different, in the way we look, the way we talk, our accents, we are always being compared to everything and anything.  Better yet, sometimes those comparisons are simply based on wrongly created perceptions.  There is no exception on where you go through this cycle.  It can be applied when going on a diet, in your workplace, even when dealing with anything that goes against the masses, status quo or the majority perception on how things need to be.

It is so reassuring to know (at least in my case) about God's perfect timing and will.  Also, to know we have a purpose beyond ourselves, and in due time, we will understand why we go through the things we do.  For years, I've compared myself to others.  (I recently discovered the term currently used to describe the "me's" of back then.  The term is "DUFF"- which by the way... I cannot wait to see the movie.) Only to discovered what a waste of my time and energy it was.  In  my work, I don't have one single female leader I can relate to.  They are amazing though, I just cannot relate to them.  Simple as that.  

What a great reminder is to let go of all those things.  We just have to be aware, be in the moment, and keep reminding us we are what we are.  "It is what it is" and we always have a new day to start again.  I will go back to my "points," know my worthiness, purpose and value, working hard to become the best me I can be, even though people will noticed it or not.  And when in doubt...will follow these 3 simple steps..."lather, rinse and repeat"  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment